Three podcasts on, what I have learned
This is what I have done:
- Created mp3 files on topics related to the IT curriculum;
- Included musical interludes - radio program style;
- Increased the length of the casts from 11 to 20 minutes;
- Varied the bit rate from 128 Kpbs mono down to 56 Kpbs mono;
- Prepared ideas in the form of bullet points and kept my speech unscripted.
- Keep the file size small - a 56 Kbps mono-channel is sufficient;
- Use podcasts to introduce a topic, not for revision;
- Keep it short - no longer than 10 minutes;
- No need for so many musical breaks. If the cast is short, then just use music to tell the students that I am moving to another section;
- Ask the students to answer questions or write an entry on an online forum.
- Continue to speak in a conversational tone but stick to the planned examples.